Shrine Mont Camp Sunday was March 19 in 203! Feel free to use these resources throughout the year to promote our camp ministry!.
Shrine Mont Camp Sunday is an opportunity to lift up our camp ministry in prayer and celebrate the life-changing moments that happens there each summer. On Shrine Mont Camp Sunday, we invite every congregation to lift up our program during worship. Here are some ways to celebrate:
· Designate loose plate offering to camp scholarship opportunities.
· Use some of the Shrine Mont Camps Sunday liturgical resources in your service.
· Invite camp alumni to preach, offer a reflection, or share their camp experience during coffee hour.
If you are able to only do one thing, we ask that you designate your loose plate offering on Sunday, March 19 for camper scholarships. Questions? Contact James Williams.
Below is the Letter from Bishop Stevenson in 2023 that expresses the importance of camp to Christian Formation within the Diocese of Virginia.
Dear Colleagues in Ministry,
Many of you know the magic of Shrine Mont Camps and the many ways they help young people to grow in faith, live into the baptismal covenant, and cultivate a love for God’s Creation.
My hope is that every young person in this Diocese will have the opportunity to attend Shrine Mont Camps. That opportunity starts with an invitation. As your bishop, I am asking you to share in the work of inviting people to Shrine Mont Camps.
Specifically, I am asking you to designate March 19 as Shrine Mont Camps Sunday at your church. Here are several easy ways to do this – and perhaps you might have additional ideas:
1) Designate the loose plate offering to Shrine Mont Camps scholarships.
2) Use the attached liturgical resources in your worship services (which include a collect and special prayers for Shrine Mont Camps.)
3) Ask a current Shrine Mont Camper or young alumni to speak during worship service, Sunday School, or a forum – sharing their experiences and inviting families and kids to come to camp.
4) Request a Shrine Mont Staff person to come and speak to your congregation.
5) Speak to this issue yourself, letting your congregation know of its importance to you and to our shared ministry.
6) Include this Camps information in your newsletter or Sunday bulletin.
For generations, people have described Shrine Mont Camps as one of the most formative experiences of their childhood. Shrine Mont Camps are truly one of the most powerful Christian formation programs in the Diocese of Virginia. I want every youth to have the opportunity to have this transformational mountaintop experience.
Thank you for helping the Diocese of Virginia celebrate Shrine Mont Camps Sunday on March 19.
Yours in Christ,
The Rt. Rev’d E. Mark Stevenson
Bishop of Virginia